“The PCA crew is leagues above
the competition” - Pepsico
"a prior vendor failed to develop
the application, which (Practical) delivered." - Franklin Park
"the application (is) easier to use, with a
much simpler, more intuitive use interface" - Royal Administration Services
"Sometimes it's the things you don't ask for
that are important" - Royal Administration Services
"PCA turned our raw data and algorithms into easy to use
and understand features and reports." - CareScout
"The quality and professionalism ... has been
so outstanding that we want to send you a letter of thanks." - USALCO
"PCA people and applications stand out by
far exceeding our expectations." - USALCO
"The resulting application greatly increas(ed)...
our business effectiveness and efficiency." - The Advest Group
"PCA completes projects
efficiently and effectively" - Pepsico
Smart Clients and SQL Server Cost Less
Even though Microsoft Access is included in the Microsoft Office enterprise suite, it is usally more expensive to build a robust application on this “free” software. Practical Computer Applications (PCA) has come to this conclusion after developing literally hundreds of custom Internet-based business applications using MS Access, MSDE, and MS SQL Server.
With MS Access projects, we tend to spend more time and effort on “defensive engineering” due to limitations, compatibility issues, user interface constraints, and difficulties associated with deploying and controlling MS Access in a distributed business environment. Unfortunately, after investing the extra time and effort to overcome these MS Access limitations, it is all a sunk cost as the MS Access platform does not scale. Here are some specifics:
- PCA engineers spend on average one-third less time developing custom applications on on MS SQL Server and .NET than with MS Access.
- The results are far better and the application is more scalable (has a longer shelf-life).
Smart Clients can be installed directly from a URL or an icon on a web page. The process is similar to many applications from Google (such as Google Earth) that can be easily launched and simply updated.
The result is that Smart Clients using SQL Server cost less to develop, update, and maintain. Applications that are built on the right components end up costing PCA’s clients less and they get more.
Contact Us for more information about your business application
Call us at 1-877-843-3405 or use our form to request more information.
Most Popular Pages
Recent Posts: Practical Blog
- Power View empowered practical Smart Client applications
- Tableau vs Qlikview and Tableau vs Spotfire
- Data, Story, View: Prototype and Update
- 2012 starts with Tableau 7.0
- SQL Server 2012 is good for Data Visualization
- Spotfire 4.0 is available
- Introduction of QlikView 11
- VisiCalc jubilee and history of Excel
- Data Visualization 2011: Omniscope 2.6
- Data Visualization 2011: Spotfire 3.3, Silver 2.0
- Data Visualization 2011: Tableau 6.1
- SQL Server 2012 is released for Preview